On Preventing Terrorism

                    
September 11 was an an emotional day for all of us. It is the anniversary of the day that our country was brutally attacked by terrorists and many innocents were killed. Today many are left without husbands, wives, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, best friends, and the list goes on and on. Nobody with a conscience can help but have tears on a day like this anniversary. We have made it through seven of them now. I used to work in the north tower of the World Trade Center so it not only brings up many emotions for me, but memories as well. I remember how relieved everyone felt to get out of the "dangerous" subway everyday and into the pristine "safe" walls of this meticulously built building. I was only twenty-eight years old and learning the corporate environment through an internship. I remember the day I saw it fall, and how my innocence was lost, yet again, a knife pierced through my thoughts of "safe boundaries". What was once safe, no longer held much meaning. The walls of the WTC seemed so safe, such a great barrier against the "mean streets of New York" every morning getting off the subway which took us right to the main entrance. I didn't watch most of it on the news when it was occurring. I was recovering from a heart attack, and many of the people whom I'd befriended, loved, eaten dinner and gone out to drinks with, were now gone. It was too much to watch. I eventually, with a friend by my side, months later, turned watched several videos of it. It took months before I could do so. It was hard enough to read about it in newspapers and on the net, but I did, just to keep up with it. It was impossible to watch the video after once however, and would take months before I could do so again. I often wonder how the families of those lost cope. I know that time heals, and my feeling today is one of "less fear and sadness" than seven years ago this day. It tests everything I ever learned about forgiveness. It causes a great inner-conflict. How does one forgive the people who did this? I believe in forgiveness, try to practice it (for self and others) but honestly, and I am sorry if I might be considered "a sinner", it is not in me, and I don't know that it ever will be, to forgive this. I do not blame the Moslem religion for this; in fact, feel sad for them that they were hijacked by a few powerful misguided renegade fanatics. Those who blame Islam for it are misguided as well. I don't believe Mohammed Ali or Kareem Abdul Jabbar (nor millions of others) would have endorsed this event. In fact I know they wouldn't. Wars are what happen, and happen rapidly, when a few fanatics with power and/or money get together and decide a higher power is talking to them to save the world, or, that everyone must think, feel, and believe like them, or they must die. It has happened since the beginning of time, and unfortunately may happen again. But that is no reason to "put life on hold" and wait for it. Everyone can do their little part in helping it "not happen so often". One way is to dis-empower, by ignoring, and not voting for (if they are running for office) warmongers and/or fanatics of any kind. I avoid friendships with them at any cost, no matter what their philosophies (or lack thereof). It can happen on a small scale, and it can happen on a large scale. The trick is to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Avoid fanatics of any sort (religious or not) who "give you the opportunity" to be a part of "their cause". I am not saying "ignore that they exist and keep an eye out on them" , only to ignore their cause and that sends a very strong message of your non-support". There is strength in numbers and the less numbers they have, the less chance they have of doing damage in the world. Many have money and will attempt to "buy you". This is a good time to walkaway from that money. A fool and his/her money is soon departed. The less people, power, friends, and money a terrorist, or would-be terrorist has, the less chances he/she has of doing damage. We can start in our own communities by simply not "buying into" fanaticism of any kind.